From Sighs to Celebrations...


Falling Energy and Sighs

Have you planned for a holiday or special meal only to be disheartened when something dreadful happens? You sigh. You wish things weren't the new reality! Years ago, I prepared a lovely lasagna in a glass dish, and lifted it out of the oven onto the stove top. Not realizing the electric burner was on! In about one minute, there was the sound of bursting glass, with red sauce, beef, mozzarella, a delicious ricotta mixture mingled with glass all over the stove and flung across the floor. I was deflated. Thankfully, my husband came to the rescue and I kept thanking him as he cleaned up the mess. I sat down to regain my energy.

I got beside myself (sighing and irked)* again the day before Thanksgiving. I'm pretty sure I was at fault for not closing the downstairs freezer door all the way. What did I find amiss? The oddest assortment of slightly thawed things and persimmon pulp half thawed. I finished thawing the very top of two bags of shrimp, tossed them in spices and cooked them in ghee and olive oil. My husband was on a mid-morning work call when I placed the shrimp on his desk with a fork. He had an inquiring look. 

I whispered, "Eat it!"

I think he liked it. I liked it. Gosh, how often do you get a shrimp, mid-morning snack?! The ravioli was only the tiniest bit thawed so I re-froze that. I decided we would have the beef liver with onions on Thanksgiving with the chopped spinach and in the next day or two I would need to use the blackberries for at least two pies... and try my hand at persimmon pudding!


Celebrations

Our Thanksgiving meal for two was relaxed and enjoyable. A friend is coming by tomorrow with Thanksgiving leftovers! And, I'll soon be making time to prepare purposely thawed items for Thanksgiving Day: Italian chicken breasts and/with Italian hot sausage.

In every cloud, there's a silver lining. When life gives you lemons, make delicious lemonade... replan. Rise above your circumstances. Breathe. Breathe some more!

In Comments, I'd love to hear a disappointing event you experienced, and how you rose above it!


*The expression "to get beside yourself" is an interesting one. According to Dictionary.com, you can be beside yourself with irriation or joy. (emphasis mine)

"The earliest example of “beside oneself” in the Oxford English Dictionary is from a 1490 translation by William Caxton of Virgil's Aeneid: “Mad and beside herself.” - Dictionary.com


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We named her Indiana Jane

Scrubbing My Attitude